Paris is known as the city of love and one of the most romantic places in the world, so what better place for us to mark our 1st wedding anniversary!
We had been to Paris before, John had surprised me with a romantic trip back when we were dating, but we decided to go again this year primarily to see Beyonce & JayZ in concert , but it turned into one of the most incredible long weekends of our lives! It just so happened that while we were there France won the World Cup! It was a once in a lifetime experience to be there on that day, and luckily for us we had a photographer to capture our adventure!
Top Tips for a romantic Paris trip
1. Fly Aerlingus direct to Charles de Gaulle or Ryanair to Beauvais airport. Flights are super cheap, use skyscanner to check the best deals. You can prebook a driver for around 50 eur one way into the city center – we used Sixt , or alternatively the return bus into Paris city centre is around €25.
3. Looking for dinner with a breathtaking view? Book a table on the outdoor terrace at Cafe de l’Homme , and you’ll be directly overlooking the Eiffel Tower. A good tip is to ask your hotel reception to phone and book your table, they can usually secure you the best tables! The menu is slightly more expensive than Irish prices, but with a view like that it’s worth it. Ordering just a main course keeps it more affordable. Check out the menu here
4. A trip to Paris wouldn’t be complete without a trip to the top of the Eiffel Tower. There is also the option to buy a flute of champagne at the top! You can buy your tickets in advance to avoid long queues at the offical website here – but you can also buy them at the ticket office on the day, it just means you might have to wait in line longer. The Arc de Triomphe is a great alternative if you don’t fancy the Eiffel Tower, you can go to the top, it is much quieter and also offers beautiful views.
5. Paris is the most ideal city for romantic strolls. Sometimes, its most romantic when kept simple. Grab yourself a picnic and head to Champ de Mars (the grass area in front of Eiffel Tower) or alternatively head down to Notre Dame Cathedral in the evening and go down the steps the the banks of the river Seine where locals gather to sit and be serenaded by one of the many street musicians.
6. While in the vicinity of Notre Dame, cross the river to the cutest, most romantic and infamous bookstore ; Shakespeare & Co. Featured in the movie “Before Sunset” , this is the perfect place to feel the real Paris, and even pick yourself up a copy of your favourite novel, complete with ink stamp from Shakesphere & Co. I think it would make an ideal momento of your trip.
7. A Seine River cruise is an experience to remember, and there are many boats offering this service. We used Bateaux Parisiens and went for a dinner cruise. It was a real 5 star experience! Check it out here
8. If you have the time its well worth a visit to the Palace Garnier – the Paris Opera, just to enjoy the beauty of the building! The secret spaces of the Palais Garnier and the staircase are just breathtaking! While in the area be sure to find Godiva at 49 Avenue de l’Opéra for their signature chocolate covered strawberries!
9. One of my favourite cafes is also located in the Opera area, Café de la Paix. One of the most famous cafes in Paris, go here for a real treat and to people watch!
10. Last but not least, don’t miss the Eiffel tower sparkle at night! It lights up just as the sun is setting, and sparkles every hour up to 1am. Some of the best things to do in Paris are free, strolling the avenues, a picnic, watching the tower sparkle ! Enjoy every moment!